I have always identified the smell of Vicks VapoRub to being sick with a runny nose. As a child we are all subjected to Vicks Vaporub massages by our mothers to clear colds and flu.
Vicks is an age-old mentholated cream intended to relieve head, throat, and chest stuffiness. It uses menthol to open up the nose and chest and works wonders on children with colds. Did you know? Vicks has been around for about hundred years and one of the most widely used OTC medicine. Here are a few surprising tricks you can use Vicks VapoRub for:
1. Cure dry cough: Apply Vicks to your feet and cover them with socks and it will provide much relief from nighttime cough.
2. Cure sore muscles: Overworked at the gym or your muscles are overworked and tired? Vicks Vaporub increases circulation and provides instant aid. Use a generous amount and apply it over the aching area.
3. bRub VapoRub on your toenails if you feel a fungal growth is there/ Apply vicks for a few days and the nail will turn dark (this means Vicks is killing the fungus). As your nail grows, the dark part will grow out and you will have fungus-free feet or hands. Keep applying Vicks for about two weeks to fully cleanse the nail bed of any remaining bacteria.
4. Headaches gone: Rub a small amount of Vicks on your temples and forehead to relieve headaches. The menthol will release pressure in your head and instantly relieve pain much like balms do.
5. Humidifer: Vicks VapoRub can be used to humidify a room. Add Vicks in a humidifier’s aromatherapy slot or add a spoon in your steamer and place it for a few minutes in your room. This will circulate Vicks throughout the air and keep you breathing easily all night long.
6. Prevent infection: Ever got paper cuts or splinters in your fingers? To prevent infection and speed up healing dab some Vicks on the small cut or splinter.
7. Ticks and Bugs: If you get bitten by a tick or bug apply some Vicks immediately. The strong odor will make the insect release itself and stop biting you.
8. Ward off mosquitoes: Vicks works as a mosquito deterrent. Apply a small amount of Vicks VapoRub to your skin and on the clothes (it won’t leave any marks) and mosquitoes will steer clear. If you get bitten, apply Vicks on the area to relieve itching.
9. Decongest your chest: The most common use of Vicks is to decongest your chest and throat. Apply it on the upper chest to provide relief from cough and congestion symptoms.
Any other uses you might know of?