In summers, the food which increases the body heat should be avoided and a cooling diet is very essential. Here is the list of the food that should be avoided in the season to stay healthy and wise.
- Fried Food & Parantha Oily foods reduce the percentage of water in the body. Secondly parantha or even chapati would absorb water from your body, making you dehydrated and tired. Opt for rice, ragi and barley.
- Non-Veg Meat is indigestible and also requires lot of water to digest. Also in summers it would heat your body and upset the stomach.
- Coffee Coffee and tea are acidic in nature. These drinks stimulate the liver and also lead to gastric trouble.
- Sweets The combination of Protien + Sugar and Starch + Sugar is always harmful for body. The sugar in sweets get fermented into the stomach which again leads to indigestion. These non compatible combination can also cause of diarrhea.
- Medicines All the pain killers like aspirin, disprin, combiflame, brufane, etc are not advisable in summers as they make the liver hyper active, which is not good for health.
- Pulses Pulses are morbific agents and not easy to digest. Lots of physical efforts are required to digest cereals, which is not possible in summer. The intake of pulses on a daily basis in the season makes a person unhealthy and causes gastric troubles & body aches. Eat sprouts instead of pulses.
- Pickle The highly salted and spicy pickles increases the thirst.
- Spices Eating spices would make your body temperature rise, Avoid ginger, chilli, pepper, cinnamon, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
Inputs given by Dr. N K Sharma, Veteran Naturopath and founder of Reiki Healing Foundation