Universally accepted as living symbols of love, friendship, success and peace, roses are becoming more popular as gifts for all occasions. They are an important part of Valentine’s Day celebration too. Each colour has a significant meaning so prices go high on V-day. Aaw tells you some interesting facts about roses
- In India the two biggest days for sales are V-Day and Teacher’s day while in United States its Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day.
- The world’s oldest living rose is believed to be 1,000 years old.
- Rose hips contain more Vitamin C than any other fruit or vegetable.
- Mythology says that roses grew thorns when Cupid accidentally shot an arrow into a rose garden.
- Today, 150 million rose plants are purchased by gardeners worldwide each year.
- The largest rose was a pink rose measuring approximately 33 inches in diameter.
The buds of the smallest roses are the size of a grain of rice.
- Shakespeare referred to roses over fifty times in his works.
- Twelve red roses say, ‘I love you’ while one says you fell in love at first sight.
- The rose was first honored by the U.S. Postal Service in 1978 with its very own stamp.
Yellow roses are the colour of friendship, familiar love, happiness and sympathy.
- Rose water is a popular skin softener and rose hips can be found in many skin products and some cosmetics.