We all love eating and cooking South Indian food because its light and healthy and easy to cook. Now as we are going into fusion food like tandoori momos, or chinese dosa, we bring to you an interesting iddly recipe which you can have as a dessert. Check out the recipe of an iddly with chocolate in it which you can also call as Chocolate Iddly
- Whole White Urad Dal: 1 Cup
- Iddly Rice: 4 Cups
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi Seeds:1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Chocolate Syrup:1cup
- Choco Chips: 30 pieces
- Wash urad dal and iddly rice 3 to 4 times and soak them separately for a minimum of 3-4 hours. While soaking urad dal add fenugreek seeds to it.
- After 4hours drain out all the water from urad dal and add it to the grinder. Once you start grinding add half a cup of water. While grinding urad dal add the water slowly in regular intervals for two to three times. The urad dal will not fluff up, if you add all the water at once. The dal should fluff up and fill the grinder. It will increase about 8-10 times of its original volume. Grind for at-least 30 minutes. Once done, transfer the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Now grind the soaked and drained rice until smooth. Add just enough water while grinding. The consistency should be medium. Once done, transfer the batter to the dal mixture bowl and mix well.
- Add salt to the batter before fermenting in summers and add it after fermenting in winters. Usually the batter needs to ferment for 5-6 hours depending upon the weather.
- Once the batter is nicely fermented, mix it well. The batter is now ready.
Chocolate iddly mixture:
Add chocolate syrup to the iddly batter untill the batter turns into nice brown colour.
For making soft chocolate iddly:
Pour some water in an iddly vessel and put it on medium flame.
Oil the iddly plate and gently fill the rounds with the chocolate batter.
Now add around 10 choco chips to each round on top of the chocolate batter.
Put it inside the iddly vessel and let it steam for 10 minutes.
Do over-cook as it might become hard and dry. Just keep an eye and remove the iddlies after 10 minutes.
Allow it to rest for another 4-5 minutes and then spoon it out.
*Once removed use heart shaped sandwich cutter/cookie cutter to get heart shape iddlies. Serve hot with ice cream, fruits or your favourite chutney.
Keep in mind
- Drain the water completely from the ingredients after soaking.
- While grinding urad dal and rice ensure that you do not use a lot of water.
You can always adjust the consistency of the batter later if it is too thick.
Recipe and pictures of chocolate iddly by Karthik Krisnamurthy, Chef/ Founder/CEO, Iddly Faktory