Banana wrapped grilled fish also known as Ikan Bakar is a scrumptious and healthy. Make this lovely treat to impress your friends and family.
1 fish fillet (Preferably basa)
1 banana leaf
2 tablespoon sambal sauce
2 tablespoon light soya
1 tablespoon sugar
2 fresh red chillies
2 tablespoon shrimp paste
1/2 cup sliced shallots/onion
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- Soak the tamarind pulp in warm water. Make a rough paste of fresh red chillies and shrimp paste in a blender.
- Add tamarind pulp, sliced shallots/onion and chilli – shrimp paste pulp together and keep aside.
- Marinate the fish fillet with half of the home made sambal sauce and light soya and sugar and finish with some oil.
- Heat the grill and semi – cook the marinated fish fillet over it.
- Remove the fish place it on the banana leaf, pour remaining of the sambal on top of the fish and wrap the banana leaf.
- Place the wrapped fish fillet on a pre-heated grill and cook till the fish is fully done and the banana leaf is partly brown.
Recipe from: Turquoise Cottage, From the Orient, BasantLok Market, VasantVihar/ Gurgaon