India has changed, gone are the days when it was unsafe to travel alone.Today most Indian women happily travel solo or with friends and come back with beautiful memories. There are many travel groups and tours especially for women. While many places still might be considered unsafe for women at night, the daytime has minimal risk and a great opportunity to soak up the rich heritage and culture our country offers.
Go beyond the urban metros and travel to the picturesque postcard perfect beauty of India. In case you are planning a vacation alone or with friend, Team AAW suggests you some women friendly places to travel to in India
- Goa Sun, sand, beaches and booze! Goa is every holiday-goers dream location. Relatively the safest (if you do not meddle with drugs) including the chilled out night scene, every woman must try and visit Goa (with her girlies) once. How to reach: Goa is well connected by flights, rails and buses.
- Agra Home to the world famous Taj Mahal, Agra is situated on the banks of river Yamuna. It is a major tourist destination because of its many splendid Mughal-era buildings, like the Agra Fort and Fatehpūr Sikrī. How to reach: Agra is well connects via road, trains and flight. From Delhi you can hire a cab or drive down to Agra via the famous Taj Expressway.
- Manali Bollywood like snow clad mountains, fresh air and a rustic experience. Manali is truly a delight and a visit in winters ensures snow clad peaks, while in summers you can visit the famous Rohtang Pass to see the snow. Manali is a quaint town and night outs won’t be a great idea here. How to reach: You can drive down to Manali, if you want to take stops in between. An overnight Volvo or a train is a good idea from Delhi. The nearest airport is Bhuntar, which is 50 km away from Manali, taxi services from Bhuntar to Manali costs about Rs 1000.
- Mcleodganj Also known as "Little Lhasa" or "Dhasa" (a short form of Dharamshala used mainly by Tibetan) is a home of Dalai Lama. The place is popular among foreign tourists and as they come here for long vacations. The place is flooded with restaurants offering international cuisines. How to reach: You can take an overnight bus from Delhi or can also come via road. The nearest airport is Gaggal Airport, 15 km from Dharamshala.
- Rajasthan The rich in culture and traditions, this state offers a beautiful experience. From the bustling Jaipur, to city of lakes Udaipur to beautiful hills of Mount Abu or the foreigner’s favourite Pushkar. How to reach: Rajasthan is well connected by flights and trains but it is easy to hire a cab from Delhi or Jaipur, if you want to visit the entire state.
- Kerala Also called God’s own country this picturesque state offers a huge variety. From stunning backwaters to hill stations like Munnar, Kerela offers peace to, tranquility and a rich cultural experience. How to reach: Kerala is well connected by flights and trains
- Pondicherry This small town tucked away on the Eastern seaboard of India has diverse attractions like coastline of 32 kms, palm-fringed beaches, backwaters, fishing villages and beach resorts. Pondicherry is a great place to look around, take a walk by the sea, and attend a cultural program which is not Indian and still based loosely on the pre-Independence era. How to reach: Pondicherry is connected with a meter gauge link with Chennai via Villupuram by the Pondicherry Express which is 36 km. from the city. Nearest airport is situated at Chennai, located 135-km from the city. Pondicherry has a good network of roads, which connects it with most of South India.
- Andaman and Nicobar Island Once known as the graveyards of martyrs, has now transformed into one of India’s best tourist spots.The Islands represent a Mini India with rich diversity of language, religion and culture and have some of the world’s best beaches with plenty of forest cover. How to reach: All flights from Kolkata, Bhubaneswar & Chennai are direct flights and takes around 2 hours while flights from Delhi fly via Chennai or Kolkata and take around 5 hours. Regular passenger ship services are available to Port Blair from Chennai, Kolkata and Visakhapatnam.