The old saying is actually true! Here’s why:
All of us have always heard the saying ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ but have you thought why? Well, apples are a store house of anti-oxidants and fiber. Read on to know the health benefits of this red and juicy fruit:
Less calories: They are packed with vitamins C, A, flavonoids, and with smaller amounts of phosphorus, iron and calcium. The best part is it has no fat or sodium. N fact many dieters call apple a negative calorie food as in when you eat an apple you burn more calories than you consume!
- Healthy teeth: Biting and chewing an apple stimulates production of saliva in your mouth. This reduces the risk of tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria. The juice of an apple can kill around 80 per cent of bacteria.
- Reduce cholesterol: The soluble fiber found in apples binds with fats in the intestine, which translates into lower cholesterol levels and a healthier you.
- Decrease risk of diabetes: Apples are loaded with soluble fiber and a study proves that women who eat at least one apple a day are 28 per cent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.
- Avoid alzheimer: Drinking apple juice can keep Alzheimer’s away and fight the effects of aging on the brain.
- Boosts immune system: The antioxidant called quercetin in apples helps boost and fortify your immune system.
- Detoxify: Eating apples is the best way to detoxify the liver. So after you binge drink, it’s advisable to binge on apples!
- Fight cancer: Apples target multiple cancers such as colon cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer in women.
- Other health benefits
- They help in inhibiting age related problems, preventing wrinkles and promoting hair growth.
- The boron in apples strengthens bones.
- They are a great snacking option in between meals.
- It also helps in preventing respiratory problems including asthma.
Tip: Always eat an apple with skin to get maximum nutrients as the skin is packed with nutrients too.