Why people fear Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th is here and the fear of facing bad luck rises in many people. Legend says 13 is an unlucky number so much so that Greek abolished it and many hotels and streets still do not have 13th floor, street, or house number.
Did you know there is a term for the fear of Friday the 13th?
Dr. Donald Dossey, a psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of phobias coined the term paraskevidekatriaphobia which means a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th and affects about as many as 21 million people!
Here’s a list of things you should not do on Friday the 13th:
The first thing is to believe your inner voice and trust your instinct and avoid whatever you do not feel like doing, like driving the car. Often our instincts pre-warn us f impending danger and try to keep us away. Beware of these 13 things on Friday the 13th:
1. Avoid leaving mirrors or glass on the floor, you might break them as breaking them might consign you to bad luck for seven years.
2. Don’t spill salt at lunchtime. If you spill any, it leads to bad luck to avoid it throw some over your left shoulder.
3. Finding a spider in early hours of the morning can be unlucky, So don’t search for bugs.
4. Do you spot an owl looking through your window? Well, according to myths this is not a good sign.
5. Brought a new pair of shoes? Well do not show off your purchases or put them on the table as it is considered very unlucky.
6. When you put your new footwear on try and avoid the cracks in the pavement to avoid bad luck and injuries.
7. If a bird enters your house chances are you will have a bad day!
8. Legend says cutting hair and nails on Friday will lead you to misfortune!
9. Going out for dinner tonight? Make sure you are not 13 people because it is unlucky in fact the first person to rise will get the unlucky spell!
10. A 1993 study published in the British Medical Journal found that hospital visits from vehicular accidents increased by a staggering 52% on Friday the 13th.
11. Dr. Thomas Fernsler of the University of Delaware, also known as Dr. 13 estimated that absenteeism on Friday the 13th costs the nation billions each time it occurs.
12. According to NASA, an asteroid will come close to Earth on a Friday the 13th in 2029. NASA says there is a 4 in a million chance that it might collide!
13. If a black cat passes your path on Friday the 13th you will have misfortune for the rest of your life.
Want to avoid bad luck on Friday the 13th?
There are a number of things you must do to ward off bad luck. According to superstition touchwood, crossing your fingers, avoiding black cats and throwing salt over each shoulder wards off bad luck.