These tips will help you keep sugar cravings in control.
If you have sweet tooth, it could be hard for you to resist that chocolate cake or candies kept on the centre table. We all consume sugar in some form throughout the day and having sweets make us want to keep having more.
The reason behind this is the spike in blood sugar level and the short-term energy boost that we experience. Sugar also helps release feel-good hormones, endorphins. This may make you feel good for a few minutes but can leave you feeling lethargic and even trigger cravings.
You can definitely have sweets in moderation but if you find yourself reaching for something sweet more than a few times a day, it is a good idea to learn how to curb your cravings. Here are some tips that will help you with that.
- Combine your source of sugar with a nutritious food item. For example, have chocolate-dipped strawberries or peanut butter banana toast drizzled with a bit of chocolate. This will reduce the chances of overconsuming sugar.
- Try having fruits with your breakfast. This will keep your blood sugar stable and having something sweet early during the day can reduce your cravings.
- Change your choice of sweet. Pick dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.
- Try a no-sugar challenge. For some people. moderation may not work in the beginning so you can leave sugar entirely and change your lifestyle.
- If you are constantly thinking about eating something sweet, engage yourself in any other activity and see if that helps.
- Do not keep long gaps between your meals. Try to have smaller portion and snacks to keep yourself full. This helps manage the cravings.
Here are some tips that will help you fight sugar cravings. You can replace refined sugar with dates, honey, artificial sweetener and other things. Doing this slowly will have a great impact on your health.