Peanut chikki or gajak (as it is popularly called in Northern India) is a fairly easy to make. Peanut chikki is synonymous with winters and used as a offering on Lohri too. Since Lohri is round the corner,make this super simple recipe as it just needs 3 ingredients and 20 minutes!
1 cup skinned peanuts (buy the non salted variety)
1 cup jaggery (gur or shakar)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Roast peanuts on a medium flame. When they are slightly golden, turn off the heatand let the roasted peanut cool.
- Heat a non stick pan and add the jaggery. Heat on a low flame and mix it continuously. When jaggery melts, immediately add the peanuts and remove from heat. Mix well.
- Now grease a plate/cutting board with ghee.
- Pour the mixture on the greased plate and using your rolling pin make it into a thick and flat shape. Cut immediately and serve on cooling.
PS: Make sure you do not overcook the jaggery. Once it cooks add the peanut powder immediately.
- Do not allow the mixture to cool before spreading. If it cools down it cannot be spread.