Take a look at these facts about Independence Day that you may not know.
Independence Day of India is celebrated on 15th August as we all know but there are a lot of lesser-known facts that many of us are unaware of. This year, let’s get to know the history of our country better and learn more about the fight for independence that took place in our country.
- Before our current national flag was adopted back in 1947, the first Indian flag with colours red, yellow and green was hoisted in 1906 at Parsee Bagan Square, Kolkata.
- Composed by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee, our national song ‘Vande Mataram’ was actually a part of his novel that was written in the 1880s.
- Lord Mountbatten picked 15th August as the Independence Day for India.
- There are 5 other countries which celebrate their independence day on the same date.
- Long after India became independent, Goa was still considered a Portuguese colony and hence it was last to be declared an Indian Territory.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was actually the first elected prime minister of India but the position was given to Jawaharlal Nehru.
7. The first prime minister of India, Mr Jawaharlal Nehru was featured on the cover of Vogue and his outfit became a trend in the West.
8. In the last 1,00,000 years, India has never invaded any country.
Which of these facts did you already know?