Every 9 seconds a woman in the World is assaulted or beaten. The newspaper is full of reports of domestic violence and still there are more such cases which go unreported every day.In this male dominated society the reason for rise in such cases are many but today we tell you some facts about domestic violence which will blow your mind
1. Around 35 per cent of women in India suffer from physical violence at the hands of their partners.
2. Domestic violence sufferers have possible chances to have suicidal thoughts, PTSD, use drugs and suffer poor performance at school and work.
3. Few common contributing factors for violence are the desire to gain control over another family member, the desire to exploit someone for personal benefits, the flare to be in a commanding position.
4. Women between the ages of 20 to 30 are at highest risk of becoming sufferers of domestic violence.
5. As many as 324,000 women every year face domestic violence by their partners in pregnancy.
6. Violence against young widows has also been on a rise in India. Most often they are cursed for their husband’s death and are deprived of proper food and clothing.
7. The usual prison sentence of men who kill their women partners is 2 to 6 years. Women who kill their partners are, on average are condemned to 15 years.
8. The punishments for domestic violence vary depending mostly on the type of crime, the harm imposed, criminal history of the suspect, and the age of the victim.
9. The main causes of violence against aged people are – children being hesitant in bearing the expenses of the old parents, emotionally victimising the olds and beating them to death to get rid of them.
10. One of the other forms of domestic violence is ill-treatment of servants and maids in households.
11.Children and teenagers in our society are not spared from the evil of domestic violence. In fact, this form of violence is second in terms of number of reported cases after the ‘violence against women’.