World Water Day is held annually on 22 March. This day focuses on the importance of freshwater and the need to conserve it. Many experts have predicted that the next world war will be due to lack of fresh water. Conservation of water is the key to save water, here are a few ways you can save water:
- While we all love standing in the shower, shorter showers can help conserve water. Replace your shower head with an low-flow version. You can also time yourself to avoid spending extra time in running water.
- Using a plastic tub to take a bath is the best way to conserve water and you will see how much time you save.
- Never throw clean water (like the one used to clean rice, veggies or pulses) down the drain use for it such as watering a plant.
- Operate an automatic dishwasher or washing machine when they are fully loaded.
- Turn water off while you are shaving or brushing your teeth.
- Tell your plumber to check for hidden leaks every six to eight months.
- Store drinking water in the refrigerator or a jug rather than using your RO or aquaguard every time.
- Do not use running water to thaw meat, frozen foods or veggies. Defrost the food by using a microwave instead.
- Flushes often waste too much water. Install one which doesn’t have a tank that ways you can use lesser water. Also get your flush handle replaced if it frequently sticks in the flush position that leads to water wastage. Avoid flushing the toilet unnecessarily.