Check out the details about Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s US visit:
The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi arrived in Houston for his seven-day visit to the United States to attend the 74th session of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York. He received a warm welcome at the airport where several Indian and US officials met him.
Christopher Olson, Director of Trade and International Affairs, US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster and Indian Ambassador to the US Harsh Vardhan Shringla were at the airport to receive PM Modi.
It’s a bright afternoon here in Houston.
Looking forward to a wide range of programmes in this dynamic and energetic city today and tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/JxzWtuaK5x
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 21, 2019
The prime minister’s US schedule includes multi-lateral engagements, interaction with the business community, bilateral meetings and also an address to the Indian diaspora at the “Howdy, Modi” event in Houston, Texas.
Check out some important details about PM Modi’s US visit here:
- The Howdy Modi event held yesterday at NRG Football Stadium in Houston. It was the largest gathering for an elected foreign leader visiting the US.
- Trump’s presence at the Houston event set foot for something new. It was the first time a US President attended an Indian-American community event with Modi and also the first time that Trump and Modi shared a stage.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 23, 2019
- Both countries are waiting to negotiate a limited trade deal to be signed by Trump and Modi at the United Nations General Assembly in New York.
- PM Modi launched a full-frontal attack on Pakistan’s sponsorship of terrorism in India. PM Modi told the Indian-American crowd that time has come for a decisive battle against terrorism.
- PM Modi said that India is now working to become a $5 trillion economy.
That’s a Texas-sized crowd!
Electric atmosphere at the NRG arena in Houston as 50,000 strong Indian Americans wait for the historic occasion when PM @narendramodi comes on stage together with US President @realDonaldTrump at #HowdyModi. pic.twitter.com/upJj4pHphr
— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) September 22, 2019
- PM Modi and President Donald Trump would meet on two occasions during the former’s visit to the US. The first was the Howdy Modi event, the second would be a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the UNGA session in New York.
- From Houston, Modi will fly to New York where he will address the annual high-level UN General Assembly session in New York on September 27.
- PM Modi will be attending an event on universal health coverage which is also hosted by the UNSG. He will showcase India’s ‘Ayushman Bharat’ program at this event.
- This would be the prime minister’s second address at the UNGA. The first was in 2014.
- Till now there are fourteen bilateral meetings lined up for PM Modi, including one with US President Trump.