Check out some interesting facts about our constitution:
We all know that Indian constitution is the rulebook that has all the instructions to be followed for the governance of India. Our constitution was legally enforced on the eve of Republic Day in 1950 and we celebrate this occasion every year. So on the 69th Republic Day, we bring to you some of the interesting facts about our Indian constitution.
- The constitution of India was handwritten by Prem Behari Narain Raizada in the best calligraphy style. Each page was beautifully decorated by different artists. It took him 6 months to write the whole constitution.
- Indian Constitution is the longest written constitution of any Sovereign country in the world. It contains 448 articles and 12 schedules.
- It took the assembly 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to create the final draft of the constitution.
- 2000 amendments were made before the final copy of the constitution was ready.
- 284 members of the constituent assembly signed the constitution on 24th January 1950. It came into force after 2 days that is 26th January.
- The ideals of Liberty, Fraternity, and Equality in our preamble have been taken from the French revolution.
- There were 6 drafting committee members for the making of the constitution. The members included Dr. B.R Ambedkar and K.M Munshi and others.
- The Indian Constitution is known as the bag of borrowings because it is made with bits and pieces from other constitutions around the world.
- The first article of the constitution states “India, that is Bharath, shall be the union of states”.
- The Constitution of India has been hailed as the best Constitution in the world because in 68 years of adaptation, very few amendments have been made.